(Through Monday’s games)
1. East Aurora cross country. After a weekend off, Blue Devils should have been well-rested heading into Tuesday’s meet against Depew and Iroquois. A win by EA would have secured program’s 17th straight ECIC division. Blue Devils return the invite circuit Saturday at Alden Invitational.
2. Canisius football. Crusaders’ defense forces five turnovers in handing Cardinal Mooney (Ohio) just its second loss ever to a New York State team. It’s Canisius’ second straight win over Mooney. Big game Saturday at Robert T. Scott Complex against old friend St. Joe’s is next.
3. Grand Island soccer. Unbeaten state and Western New York No. 1 boys team entered Tuesday’s game needing a win to join the GI girls team as outright Niagara Frontier League champions.
4. Lancaster football. With Class AA South Division secured, now it’s time for the Legends to shift focus on earning a Rivalry Week triumph on Friday over Depew.
5.Clarence soccer. Boys cap big week with tie versus Lancaster and win over previous area No. 1 Williamsville North to extend unbeaten streak to eight games. Girls carry 10-game winning streak into week.
6. St. Joe’s golf. Marauders complete 13-0 season by capturing championship at All-Catholic Tournament. Nine of the Monsignor Martin Associations’ 19 representatives in the state tournament wear St. Joe’s colors.
7. I-Prep boys soccer. Presidents, the top-ranked small school in the area, crushed St. Francis of the Monsignor Martin Association on Monday in nonleaguer to extend winning streak to 13 games. I-Prep’s only loss is by one-goal in season opener to St. Joe’s. Big game Friday, though, against Clarence in tune-up for sectionals.
8. Canisius volleyball. Crusaders fail to even score with Penfield, which beats them for another tournament title. Canisius must regroup for St. Joe’s, as it’s rivalry week between the schools.
9. St. Mary’s girls volleyball. Bounce back for third-place showing at the Garden State Classic in New Jersey after 0-7 showing at Nike Invitational.
10. Williamsville North soccer. The Spartans may have finally lost but finished 1-1-1 during a week in which they faced two Western New York teams ranked in the top six in the area and an improved Frontier team.
High honors: Akron field hockey, Eden girls volleyball, Iroquois field hockey, Maple Grove sports, Nardin girls soccer, Newfane boys and girls soccer, Orchard Park cross country, Portville girls volleyball, Williamsville East girls soccer Williamsville South field hockey.
Honorable mention: Canisius soccer, Cheektowaga football, Clarence boys volleyball, Clarence girls volleyball, Clarence field hockey Clarence football, Clarence swimming, Cleveland Hill football, East Aurora boys soccer, Eden boys volleyball, Fredonia girls soccer, Hamburg boys soccer, Lackawanna boys soccer, Lancaster girls tennis, Lockport boys volleyball, Niagara-Wheatfield golf, Orchard Park football, Orchard Park golf, Orchard Park swimming, Randolph boys soccer, Sacred Heart golf, Sacred Heart soccer, Starpoint boys soccer, Sweet Home boys soccer, Williamsville East girls volleyball, Wilson boys golf.