May 9, 1936 – Oct. 1, 2016
Jerome H. “Jerry” Robins, who owned and operated Cy’s Elma Pharmacy for 37 years, died Saturday in the Cleveland Clinic after a brief illness. He was 80.
Born in Buffalo, the son of a Russian immigrant who owned a wholesale produce business in the Clinton-Bailey Market, he was a pitcher for his eighth-grade baseball team at School 66 that won the city championship in 1950.
He was a graduate of Bennett High School and the University of Buffalo School of Pharmacy, where he was junior class president and a member of ROPES, the pharmacy student fraternal organization. He served in the Army from 1955 to 1957 and was stationed in Japan.
Mr. Robins worked at several pharmacies in the area before acquiring Cy’s Elma Pharmacy in the Elma Village Shopping Center on Bowen Road in 1970.
He operated it as an independent pharmacy and added amenities such as a gift shop. He retired in 2007.
A resident of Amherst since 1970, he was a longtime member of Temple Beth Tzedek. He was active with the Forum Club and was a director of the Equality Club of Buffalo. He also was a member of the Buffalo Launch Club and the Pharmacists Society of the State of New York.
Mr. Robins audited university classes in Middle Eastern studies and other subjects in retirement.
He also enjoyed traveling, motor boating, golf, gardening and sudoku.
Survivors include his wife of 56 years, the former Janice L. Memel; two sons, Steven N. and Howard L.; two daughters, Jill B. Gordon and Susan T. Springer; a sister, Judith Lisch Mann; and nine grandchildren.
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m Wednesday in Temple Beth Tzedek, 621 Getzville Road, Amherst.