As he was dying, Freddie Dizon gave first responders the name of the person who shot him as he was working on the evening of May 20 at the Anchor Bar on Main Street in Buffalo.
It took four months before investigators were satisfied that they had confirmed Dizon’s dying accusation.
On Monday, Jorge L. Suarez, 26, was charged with second-degree murder, and the case is headed to the grand jury, according to Buffalo police and the Erie County District Attorney’s Office. From the start, Suarez was the chief suspect in the fatal shooting of the 32-year-old cook. According to investigators, the gunman entered through a back entrance to the popular restaurant during the dinner hour. He walked through the kitchen and confronted Dizon in a hallway, shooting him several times in the chest. One bullet ricocheted and grazed a second person, Raymond Hogue. Dizon staggered through the dining area and out the front door before he collapsed.
Sources told The Buffalo News in May that Dizon named Suarez as the shooter before he died, although the gunman wore a mask. The day after the shooting, Suarez was picked up by police for violating parole on a 2010 weapons charge, and he was back in state prison. Buffalo Chief of Detectives Dennis J. Richards said his investigators interviewed dozens of witnesses and followed a number of leads in the case. Acting District Attorney Michael J. Flaherty Jr. said the fact that Suarez was in custody did not slow the investigation.
It appeared from the start that Dizon had been targeted, and even before the shooting, he expressed fears for his safety. Two days before his death, Dizon had posted angry messages on his Facebook page accusing someone of molesting children. When he arrived at work that Friday, he said he might have been followed.