How they fared
Final 2015 News football polls
1. South Park (0-1): lost to St. Joe’s, 29-12. Next: Friday vs. Hamburg, 7 p.m.
2. St. Francis (0-1): lost to Central Catholic (Ohio), 48-18. Next: Saturday vs. Christian Brothers, 7 p.m.
3. Orchard Park (0-1): lost to V-Pittsford, 35-22. Next: Friday vs. Hutch-Tech, 7 p.m.
4. Canisius (1-0): beat Lockport, 60-6. Next: Saturday vs. Cardinal O’Hara, 1 p.m.
5. Kenmore West (1-0): beat Riverside, 53-12. Next: Saturday vs. Wmsv. North, 2 p.m.
6. West Seneca East (0-1): lost to Bennett, 30-13. Next: Friday at Lake Shore, 6:30 p.m.
7. Lancaster (1-0): beat Wmsv. South, 31-14. Next: Friday vs. Jamestown, 7:30 p.m.
8. Williamsville North (1-0): beat Jamestown, 34-26. Next: Saturday at Kenmore West, 2 p.m.
9. Bishop Timon-St. Jude (0-1): lost to Buford (Ga.), 49-6. Next: Friday at Central Catholic (Ohio), 7 p.m.
10. Starpoint (1-0): beat Amherst, 27-9. Next: Saturday vs. Kenmore East at Tonawanda, 2 p.m.
1. Cheektowaga (1-0): beat Dunkirk, 27-13. Next: Friday at Tonawanda, 7:30 p.m.
2. Maple Grove (1-0): beat Portville, 52-15. Next: Friday vs. Frewsburg, 7 p.m.
3. Bennett (1-0): beat West Seneca East, 30-13. Next: Saturday vs. McKinley at Riverside, 1 p.m.
4. Burgard (1-0): beat Pioneer, 14-13. Next: Saturday at Newfane, 2 p.m.
5. Springville (1-0): beat Fredonia/WB, 52-14. Next: Friday vs. Frontier, 7 p.m.
6. Alden (1-0): beat Depew, 40-19. Next: Friday at Albion, 7 p.m.
7. Franklinville/Ell. (1-0): beat Clymer/Sherman/Panama, 35-8. Next: Friday vs. Catt./Little Valley, 7 p.m.
8. Cleveland Hill (0-1): lost to Maryvale, 14-12. Next: Saturday vs. Wilson, 2 p.m.
9. Dunkirk (0-1): lost to Cheektowaga, 27-13. Next: Friday at Olean, 7 p.m.
10. Frewsburg (1-0): beat Catt./Little Valley, 43-12. Next: Friday at Maple Grove, 7 p.m.
• Isaiah McDuffie seemingly did it all for Bennett in its 30-14 season-opening win at West Seneca East in a Class A South contest. The senior rushed 14 times for 200 yards and four touchdowns, made 11 tackles on defense and recovered a fumble.
• Dylan Casey returned a kickoff 90 yards for the winning touchdown, then preserved Maryvale’s 14-12 triumph over rival Cleveland Hill by strip sacking the quarterback on the game-tying two-point conversion late in the fourth quarter.
• Ian Baker tied a Springville record with six touchdowns as he rushed 19 times for 248 yards and also made eight tackles during the Griffins’ 52-14 win at Fredonia/Westfield/Brocton.
• Dominic Prince finished with 140 yards, scoring on runs of 10 and 51 yards, and made 11 tackles, including the game-saving one on a Pioneer two-point conversion try during Burgard’s 14-13 victory.
• Grand Island quarterback Cam Sionko went 17 for 22 for 208 yards and three touchdowns in a 27-7 win at Niagara-Wheatfield.
• Jason Hwang ran 15 times for 110 yards and a TD and completed 6 of 10 passes for 139 yards and two scores in Williamsville North’s 34-26 win at Jamestown.
• Jack Putney went 9 for 16 for 247 yards and three touchdowns in Clarence’s 21-0 win over Frontier.
It’ll be Week Two for Eden/North Collins but opening night for Chautauqua Lake at 7 p.m. Tuesday when Eden/NC makes the roadie to the Southern Tier for a nonleaguer. Due to various factors, the Thunderbirds were the odd team out when it came to scheduling a Week One foe for Friday or Saturday. The solution: Eden/NC returning on short rest so that C-Lake could play two games in one week. The Thunderbirds visit Gowanda on Saturday night.
Top Friday games include Sweet Home playing its first night home game when it hosts West Seneca West at 7 p.m., and Jamestown visiting Lancaster at 7:30 p.m.
A 16-game Saturday slate includes St. Francis hosting Section III-power Syracuse CBA at 7 p.m. at Polian Family Field.
From Friday Night Lights to Saturday afternoon homecoming games, BuffaloNews.com is the place to keep track of all of Western New York’s football action.
Review our #PrepTalkLive coverage from this weekend’s games at buffalonews.com, including photo galleries and video interviews from this weekend’s games.