Share this article

print logo

Elderly woman dies three days after attack in Buffalo nursing home

An 82-year-old woman living in a Delaware Avenue nursing home died Monday three days after she was beaten when she mistakenly wandered into a male resident’s room in the facility, authorities confirmed Wednesday morning.

The apparent beating occurred at about 9 a.m. Friday in the Emerald South Nursing and Rehabilitation Center at 1175 Delaware Ave., near West Ferry Street.

The woman suffered a broken neck, several broken ribs, a broken nose, facial fractures and a collapsed lung in the incident, according to the Buffalo police report.

The badly injured woman died in Erie County Medical Center.

Detectives who went to the nursing home later Friday to investigate the incident and identify the offender found the facility locked, and no one came to the door, police reports stated.

The report did not explain the nature of the attack.

“There was some type of physical altercation between the two residents,” one source familiar with the incident said.

Authorities, however, would not confirm widespread reports that both residents suffered from dementia.

Even before this incident, Emerald South had poor ratings, according to the federal Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.

The federal government gave Emerald South the lowest possible score on its 2016 overall rating. On a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 the highest, Emerald South received a 1. The facility also received a 1 for 2016 health inspection rating and 2s for staffing and nurse staffing.

Emerald South officials confirmed that the woman died, but released no other details. However, they did release a statement:

“The staff at Emerald South has extended our deepest condolences to the family members and friends of our resident. We have met privately with the family of the resident, and have been and continue to cooperate with public authorities as we work together to conduct a complete and thorough investigation.

“Emerald South strives to offer a supportive, caring and safe environment for all of our residents,” the statement continued. “To protect the confidential and private health information of those involved in this matter, we will not release any further information at this time.”

The facility formerly was known as the Presbyterian Home, but Presbyterian Senior Care sold it to Emerald, a downstate company, in 2012.

A somewhat similar deadly incident occurred four years ago, in November 2012, when an 87-year-old man was accused of repeatedly beating his 86-year-old roommate with a 2½-pound magnet at an assisted-living facility in the Town of Tonawanda.

The victim in that case, who was pummeled repeatedly as he lay in his bed in the Kenwell-DePaul Senior Living Community on Delaware Avenue, died a month later.

The suspect, Chester A. Rusek, later was charged with first-degree manslaughter but died in the Erie County Medical Center lockup in January 2015, at age 89.


There are no comments - be the first to comment