Court papers filed this week in defense of G. Steven Pigeon as he faces bribery and extortion charges provide a fascinating peek inside the sometimes murky world of Erie County politics.
Some of the details from the defense papers:
• Pigeon was a partner with Roger Stone, the Republican political consultant with ties dating to Richard Nixon, in a consulting firm called Landen Associates. The Landen firm has shown up in countless campaign finance reports as a vehicle for Pigeon to make political contributions.
• Pigeon “stated that Roger Stone is the Darth Vader of the Republican Party,” according to the defense court papers.
• Pigeon told FBI and local agents that “Stone was brought in by the Bush candidacy in 2000 in Florida relative to the hanging chads incident. Pigeon stated if the investigator had seen the HBO movie related to the 2000 election and the hanging chads incident, they would recall the actor portraying James Baker stating they need to get Roger Stone.”
• Pigeon said that Roger Stone explained “he is the one who taught Karl Rove.”
• John P. Bartolomei, a Niagara Falls attorney and longtime Pigeon associate, is also identified by Pigeon as a partner in the Landen firm.
• Pigeon explained that money flowed through Landen as “a way not to link Parenti to casino gambling money in case he (Parenti) chose to run for elected office again.” Gary Parenti is a Pigeon friend and business partner.
• Pigeon said that “all the money transfers were done before Parenti received a DWI which would likely make him unable to run for elected office.”
This information in the defense papers comes from the outline of an interview Pigeon had with FBI and local district attorney investigators in 2008.
It stemmed from his lawyers’ request for information about any pertinent investigations of Pigeon in the past, and centered on his fundraising activities in connection with former West Seneca Supervisor Paul T. Clark’s unsuccessful candidacy for county executive in 2007.