Share this article

print logo

Munich police: Teen gunman had no link to ISIS

MUNICH – The gunman who opened fire outside a shopping mall in Munich Friday, killing nine people and wounding 21 apparently had no link to ISIS or the refugee community in Germany, Munich police reported Saturday

Police initially believed more than one gunman was involved, but now say the attack was the work of a single gunman, an 18-year-old German of Iranian descent who they said held both German and Iranian citizenship. Police officials said the teen had been receiving psychiatric care. His name had not been released.

According to CNN, police said the “obvious” link was to far-right terrorist Anders Behring Breivik’s massacre in Norway. Friday’s shooting rampage was carried out five years of the Norwegian attack that killed 77 people.

CNN also said investigators pointed to several other connections to the Norway massacre, such as the young age of the Munich victims, and the fact the attacker had extensively researched mass shootings.

The body of the Munich gunman was found less than a mile from the mall with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, officials said.

During a news conference early Saturday, Munich police, said it was unclear what had motivated the assailant, who had lived in the city for more than two years and had no police record.

There are no comments - be the first to comment