Nov. 9, 1931 – July 9, 2016
Leah Adair Stephens Luhr Snyder, of Kenmore, a retired teacher, died Saturday in Kenmore Mercy Hospital after a brief illness. She was 84.
Born in Buffalo, she was a 1949 graduate of Mount St. Mary Academy and earned a bachelor’s degree in history at Trinity College in Washington, D.C.
After college, she taught fourth grade in Kenmore-Town of Tonawanda schools in the 1950s and married Dr. John Paul Luhr, an ophthalmologist, in 1956. They had eight children.
Widowed in 1973, she married George L. Snyder, a widower with five children, in 1978, and often hosted dinners for 25 family members and friends. After her children were raised, she returned to work as a substitute teacher in the Buffalo schools in the 1980s. She retired in 1990.
Mrs. Snyder was named Mount St. Mary Academy Alumna of the Year in 2004 for her dedication to the school and the Sisters of St. Mary of Namur.
She was president of the Buffalo Chapter of the Trinity College Alumnae Association, was a lady founder of Canisius High School and was active in supporting the work of the Sisters of St. Mary of Namur with refugee families through Casa El Norte in Fort Erie, Ont.
She was a lifelong parishioner at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in the Town of Tonawanda and was a member of Epiphany Cathedral in Venice, Fla., where she spent winters for the past 25 years. She also maintained a summer cottage in Bertie Bay, Ont., and was a member of the Cherry Hill Golf Club in Fort Erie.
In addition to her husband, survivors include seven daughters, Catherine A. Luhr, Mary E. Luhr Johnson, L. Adair Luhr Kearney, Ann Marie Luhr, Florine M. Luhr, Julie A. Luhr and Dr. Eileen S. Luhr; a son, John Paul Luhr Jr.; two stepsons, Philip J. Snyder and George L. Synder Jr.; three stepdaughters, Elizabeth F. Snyder Marquardt, Amy Snyder Doldo and Jane W. Snyder; a brother, Dr. David C. Stephens; a sister, Ann S. Brady; and 15 grandchildren.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be offered at 9:30 a.m. Thursday in St. John the Baptist Church, 1085 Englewood Ave., Town of Tonawanda.