Share this article

print logo

Fire causes $60,000 in damage to Cheektowaga duplex

The two families were not home at the time and a dog was led to safety by a neighbor, according to Don Szumigala, chief of Doyle Hose Company No. 1.

Cheektowaga Police were alerted to the fire about 5 p.m. Firefighters brought the fire under control in about 30 to 40 minutes.

Don Uzar, who lives two blocks away, said the entire neighborhood covered in smoke. “You couldn’t even see down the street,” he said. “(Smoke) was pouring out so bad.”

Damage was estimated at about $60,000.

One of the tenants, Al Gordon, said he and his 22-year-old son moved into the duplex three weeks ago and had yet to obtain renter’s insurance.