Share this article

print logo

Sharks looking for better execution in test of speed

PITTSBURGH -- With only one day between games, there wasn't much practicing going on at the Stanley Cup final on Tuesday. Only a handful of players actually skated, with the Penguins at their complex in suburban Cranberry and the Sharks downtown at Consol Energy Center.

The teams aren't trying to make too much of Pittsburgh's 3-2 victory in Game One, especially since they had not seen each other since early December. But the contest was nonetheless entertaining and could portend for more to game when Game Two is played here Wednesday night at 8.

"That's as quick of a game as we've played this year," Penguins forward Eric Fehr said of the opener. "It was a lot of fun and there was a lot of energy."

The Sharks look a little star-struck in the first period as they fell behind, 2-0, before rallying to tie the game in the second period. The Penguins won it on Nick Bonino's goal with 2:33 to play.

"The game is on us to execute better," Sharks coach Peter DeBoer said today. "It's on us to impose our game on them for longer stretches. We did it for the second period and for spurts of the third. But they did it for longer than we did and they won. It's as simple as that."

"We felt we were ready. We were excited to play," said Sharks captain Joe Pavelski. "Then at the start, we didn't execute the way we needed to. We try to take the lesson and learn from it and hopefully we can have a better start."

Pens coach Mike Sullivan had no update on Bryan Rust, who left the game after taking a check to the head from Patrick Marleau in the third period (Marleau is not getting suspended by the NHL). The Hockey News reported Rust skated in sweats an hour after his teammates and after the media had left the building to head to the Sharks' availability.

DeBoer said speedy winger Matt Nieto, out since May 9 with an upper-body injury, could get the call for Game Two.

There are no comments - be the first to comment