Share this article

print logo

Clarence house fire causes $70,000 damage

A mattress fire in a Clarence home led to $70,000 in damages early Sunday.

The cause of the fire at 8400 Main St. was under investigation by the Erie County fire investigation team, officials said.

Amherst Fire Control received a call from a resident of the home about 3:29 a.m. stating that a mattress fire had been extinguished, but that the mattress was smoldering and the bedroom was on fire.

The Harris Hill Fire Company, assisted by East Amherst, Main Transit and Bowmansville fire companies, contained the fire in the second floor bedroom of the Cape Cod-styled home. Damages to the structure totaled $40,000, with $30,000 to its contents.

No injuries were reported.