Share this article

print logo

Man arrested after chase suspected of being getaway driver in Anchor Bar shooting

A Buffalo man has been arrested after Monday night’s chase that ended on Grand Island, a case that appears to be connected with Friday night’s double shooting at the Anchor Bar, according to a law enforcement source.

Buffalo Police have arrested Gregory Ramos, 24, of Buffalo, on an outstanding felony domestic charge, a spokesman said in an email.

Ramos is believed to be the getaway car driver in Friday’s shooting, according to a law enforcement source.

Ramos has not been charged in connection with the shooting.

There was a Gregory Ramos who appeared in Buffalo City Court this morning and was held on $250,000 bail. The charges filed were second-degree harassment, third-degree assault and second-degree strangulation.

Police had issued an alert to other area law enforcement agencies concerning Ramos’ whereabouts.

The chase, which started at about 10:15 p.m. in Niagara Falls, ended with a man taken into custody.

Grand Island residents were asked to stay in their homes while police conducted a search for an individual, officials said.

Niagara Falls police were contacted by Buffalo police about a suspect believed to be in the Falls, according to Niagara Falls Chief of Detectives Kelly J. Rizzo.

A Niagara Falls police officer driving in the Falls saw the suspect in a vehicle. When the officer tried to pull him over, a chase ensued, Rizzo said in an email.

The vehicle was seen exiting the Niagara Thruway onto Long Road on Grand Island.

During the search, authorities received a report of the crash at Whitehaven and Stony Point roads, officials said.

The driver of the vehicle was seen running away from the crash scene and he was subsequently taken into custody. Erie County sheriff’s deputies assisted in the search. A K-9 unit was dispatched, but the person was taken into custody before the unit arrived at the scene.

The shelter-in-place request was lifted about 11 p.m.

The Erie County Sheriff’s Office directed calls about the matter to Niagara Falls Police, who referred calls to Buffalo Police.

News Staff Reporters Aaron Besecker and Joseph Popiolkowski contributed to this report. email: