The Jackie Schmid Memorial Scholarship Committee announced the deadline to apply for the 2016 scholarship has been extended to May 15th. The additional time to apply will allow more students to take advantage of the scholarship opportunity.
The scholarship is open to high school seniors who are residents of the Town of Cheektowaga. One winner from each of the five school districts – Cheektowaga Central, Cheektowaga-Sloan (John F. Kennedy), Cleveland Hill, Depew, and Maryvale – will be selected to receive a $1,500 scholarship, in addition to one student who resides in Cheektowaga but attends a private or parochial school. Eligible applicants must demonstrate a record of community service, an academic average above an 85, and Polish heritage within three generations. Applicants are required to submit an essay.
The scholarship was established in memory of Jackie Schmid, a community leader in Cheektowaga who passed away in 2012. 2016 marks the third year that scholarships will be awarded.
For more information, visit https://www.facebook.com/jackieschmidscholarship . Applications must be postmarked by May 15th.
• The Cheektowaga Town Board meets at 6:45 p.m. Monday in Town Hall, 3301 Broadway.
• The Cheektowaga-Sloan board of education conducts a work session at 6:30 p.m. Monday in the Irma Czubaj board room at Woodrow Wilson Elementary, 166 Halstead Ave., Sloan.
•The Cheektowaga Central School Board meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday at 3600 Union Road.
• The Cleveland Hill School Board will hold its official budget hearing and presentation at 6 p.m. Wednesday in the district community room, 105 Mapleview Road.
• The John F. Kennedy High School spring concert takes place at 7 p.m. Friday in the school’s Greenauer Auditorium, 305 Cayuga Creek Road.
• The Maryvale PTO hosts a chicken barbecue and plant sale during the district budget vote May 17, from 2-6 p.m. in the Binner Building’s cafeteria, 1050 Maryvale Drive. There will be four dinner options available for purchase. Pre-sale tickets are available through each school’s PTO. For more information, email IntermediatePTO@aol.com.