Share this article

print logo

Fire at Pizza Oven blamed on careless smoking outside of restaurant

LOCKPORT — Careless smoking is being blamed for a fire Monday night at a longtime eatery in the city, the Pizza Oven at 54 Vine St.

City firefighters were able to contain the fire to a corner of the building. Damages were listed at $5,000 to the structure, which is assessed at $80,000.

City of Lockport Fire Chief Patrick Brady said the call came in at 7:35 p.m. and firefighters were on the scene four minutes later. Smoke was found coming from a front corner of the building and firefighters located the fire outside in a ground floor corner at the front of building, after they pulled some siding and sheathing off the building. Crews extinguished the fire and also removed boxes and cartons inside the building to make sure the fire hadn’t spread to any other parts of the building.

Brady said the fire appears to have been caused by an employee who was smoking outside and dropped a cigarette in an opening between the sidewalk and the front of the building.