Share this article

print logo

Residents displaced by Cheektowaga fire

Fire that may have originated with a cooking grill in a garage damaged a one-story ranch house and displaced its residents Monday evening on Vern Lane in Cheektowaga.

No injuries were reported to the occupants of the house nor to the residents of a neighboring house that also was damaged by the fire

The site is between Rosemead and Constance Lanes off Union Road.

Don Szumigala, chief of Doyle Hose Company No. 1, said the garage was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived there.

“At this point, it appears to be accidental. The residents were grilling and all indications are it originated from that grill,” Szumigala said.

At one point during their attempts to put out the fire, firefighters were ordered to temporarily move away from the burning house and garage. “We felt it important to pull our personnel out at that time and reconfigure our attack,” said Szumigala.

One firefighter who complained of chest pains was taken to a hospital for evaluation and treatment.

Other fire companies that responded were Sloan Active Hose Company No. 1, Bellevue Volunteer Fire Company, South Line Fire Company and Winchester Fire Company.