April 7, 1926 – April 14, 2016
Mary Agnes Bauer, of Williamsville, a retired registered nurse and philanthropist, died unexpectedly April 14 in Spring Hill, Fla. She was 90.
Born in Buffalo, the daughter of a Black Rock hardware store owner, the former Mary Agnes Schweitzer earned her nursing degree from D’Youville College in 1947. She was retired from the Visiting Nursing Association of Western New York.
She and her husband of 66 years, Charles, a cardiologist, were considered two of D’Youville’s most loyal donors. The college honored them by naming its new academic building at Niagara and Jersey streets, for which their foundation provided a $2 million gift, as the Dr. Charles and Mary Schweitzer Bauer School of Arts, Sciences and Education.
Mrs. Bauer was a D’Youville College Alumnae Porter Associate and member of the President’s Circle.
The Bauers also gave generously to the University at Buffalo and endowed a professorship, the Charles and Mary Bauer Chair, in the Jacobs School of Medicine, along with scholarships and other programs.
Active in St. Gregory the Great Catholic Church, Mrs. Bauer was a former president of the Altar and Rosary Society and a eucharistic minister. She was a member of the Catholic Charities Monsignor Gugino Society and the Kenmore Mercy Hospital board of directors.
She also was a member of the Buffalo Curling Club and Brookfield Country Club. She was an avid reader, golfer, bridge player and traveler.
Her husband died in 2015.
Survivors include two daughters, Christine Bakewell and Sandra Moe; three sons, C. Donald, Robert J. and Gregory M.; 15 grandchildren and two great-granddaughters.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be offered at 10 a.m. May 7 in D’Youville College Sacred Heart Chapel, Koessler Administration Building, 320 Porter Ave.