Share this article

print logo

Fire that destroyed property at Acacia Park Cemetery blamed on an electric golf cart

PENDLETON — Fire that destroyed two storage buildings Monday afternoon in Acacia Park Cemetery was likely caused by an electric golf cart that caught fire.

According to the report released on Tuesday by the Niagara County Sheriff Department, an employee, Nicholas Mosher, said he left a golf cart charging in a garage and, when he looked back, the cart was on fire.

The building also contained gasoline. Two small explosions were reported at the scene just before 3 p.m. at 4215 Tonawanda Creek Road.

Mosher and another employee, Anthony Ferlito, tried to move equipment away from the fire, but Ferlito said most of the items around the golf cart were fully involved in the fire. Both Ferlito and Mosher were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.

Cemetery Director Richard Winter said the garage was the main building which contained all of the equipment for cemetery grounds workers, including lawn mowers and plows. The main building and a smaller building to the east were called a total loss. A vehicle parked behind the building was damaged, and a third storage building sustained minor damage. The total amount of loss was unknown.

Wendelville Volunteer Fire Department responded and was assisted by North Amherst Volunteer Fire Department.