LEWISTON – Sister Bernadette Miller is returning to Niagara University.
A member of the Daughters of Charity Province of St. Louise – and a Niagara graduate – Sister Bernadette has been assigned to Niagara to extend her ministry and service to Niagara Falls and the campus community. She will work closely with the Rev. Joseph L. Levesque Institute for Civic Engagement to develop and implement educational pathways to reduce the achievement gap.
“We are extremely excited to welcome Sister Bernadette to Western New York and our university community,” said the Rev. James J. Maher, Niagara president. “Sister Bernadette’s presence is a living example of the collaboration between St. Vincent de Paul and St. Louise de Marillac. How fitting in the Holy Year of Mercy called for by Pope Francis that we are gifted with a member of St. Louise’s company to advance our Catholic and Vincentian mission, and serve people living in poverty.”
Sister Bernadette most recently served as principal for the DePaul Catholic School in the Germantown section of Philadelphia.
She was previously appointed secretary to the Superioress General of the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul in Paris, France. During her tenure as secretary, Sister Bernadette handled English-speaking translation for the American and Australian communities and served as a translator for non-English-speaking visitors to the mother house.
She also was a campus minister for St. John’s University at its Paris campus.
Sister Bernadette holds a bachelor’s degree in elementary education from Southwest Missouri State University and master’s degrees in religious education from Loyola University, and in educational administration from Niagara.
The Daughters of Charity, co-founded in 1633 by St. Vincent de Paul and St. Louise de Marillac, are a community of women who devote their lives to serving the poorest in today’s society.
There are currently about 16,000 Daughters of Charity living and working in more than 90 countries throughout the world.
For more information, visit: www.niagara.edu or http://levesqueinstitute.niagara.edu.