PARIS - Senior officials in Europe said one of two suspects wounded in an anti-terrorist raid Friday in Brussels is Salah Abdeslam, a key figure in last year’s attacks in Paris that killed 130 people and wounded many more.
Abdeslam, a 26-year-old French national who had resided in the Molenbeek neighborhood of Brussels before the attacks, has eluded authorities since the Nov. 13 attacks. Federal prosecutors have yet to confirm the identity of either suspect.
Prosecutors said Friday that the fingerprints of Abdeslam, one of Europe’s most wanted men, were found in an apartment raided by police earlier this week. But they declined to give further details on an ongoing operation.
A shootout Tuesday led to the death of one suspect and the wounding of four Belgian police officers. The raid on Friday took place in Molenbeek, not far from the headquarters of the European Union, which on Friday afternoon announced a landmark deal with Turkey on Europe’s migrant crisis.
Belgian television showed black-clad counterterrorism police with Belgian shepherds standing guard in Molenbeek as dusk fell over Brussels.
French President Francois Hollande, asked about the events in Brussels during a European Union news conference, said, “It is true that there is a link with the terror attacks in Paris.”