Share this article

print logo

High School Roundup: Felber’s goal in OT wins for Clarence

Williamsville North, Niagara Wheatfield and Orchard Park earned decisive victories Saturday in Western New York Federation Large Schools hockey quarterfinals at Amherst Northtown Center, but Clarence and Lancaster needed overtime and then some to decide their bitter, scoreless and fight-marred battle.

Randy Felber of Clarence scored unassisted at 3:38 of the second overtime to push Clarence past the Legends, 1-0.

Jack Niesyty of Clarence and Sean Lenhard of Lancaster put on a goaltending show full of clutch saves until Felber broke through with a shot over Lenhard’s arm. Niesyty had 41 saves for his fourth shutout of the season.

No. 1 seed Williamsville North scored twice in the first 1:21 and went on to a 10-0 win over Lockport. Daniel Mosher, Zach Kurbiel and Andrew Bruno had two goals each for the Spartans. Derek Westbrook, Matt Terrance, Brett Sardina and Tyler Durfee had single tallies for the winners.

Jeff Palczewski had three goals for the hat trick and TJ Maloney scored two power-play goals and added two assists in No. 2 seed Orchard Park’s 7-2 victory over Niagara Falls. Cam Peters and Michael Strachan also scored for the Quakers. Alex Hailey tallied twice for the losing Wolverines.

Nick Breier, Joe Torcascio, Garrett Downie, Chris Tobey and Cameron Ruhland had goals for No. 3 Niagara Wheatfield in a 5-1 win over Frontier. Jake Watkins had a first-period goal that tied the game at 1-1 for Frontier.

Walsh clinches title

Archbishop Walsh clinched the Monsignor Martin Class B boys basketball division and earned the top seed for the playoffs with a 67-42 win at short-handed St. Mary’s on Saturday.

Adam Moore had 16 points and surpassed 1,000 for his career while Christian Churakos added a game-high 20 points for the News No. 2 small school.

The third-ranked Lancers played without leading scorer Takal Molson, point guard Cam Dunning and Khalil White, who were suspended indefinitely Thursday before St. Mary’s loss to No. 1 Canisius for violating school policy, according to coach Paul Rath.

Rath said he’s approaching the rest of the season like the team will be without the three suspended players.

Molson led St. Mary’s in scoring at 26 points per game.

Moore needed five points to hit 1,000. The senior passed 1,000 on a three-pointer in the second quarter.

There are no comments - be the first to comment