Share this article

print logo

Coal stove causes fire that destroyed Gainesville home

GAINESVILLE – An overheated coal stove was blamed for a fire that destroyed a home in the Wyoming County town of Gainesville Friday morning, the Wyoming County Sheriff’s office reports.

Fire companies from Gainesville, Silver Springs, Pike, North Java, Castile, Bliss and Warsaw responded to the 7 a.m. call at the home at 4784 Green Bay Road. The homeowner was identified as Steven Grisewood.

No injuries were reported but the building and its contents were declared a total loss, estimated at $50,000. The home’s two occupants are being assisted by the Red Cross.