Share this article

Open for business
Find out the latest updates from local businesses as our region reopens.
print logo

Update: Heart & Soul 5K rescheduled

[Update from Heart & Soul race director, 11:30 a.m., Feb. 13: "After careful consideration and planning with Buffalo PD, event organizers and our timing company, we have rescheduled our race for Saturday morning February 27th at 8:00am. Holding the race at 8:00am in the morning will allow runners who were planning to compete in the Ice Man 2-Miler to run both races and Buffalo Police have given us the go ahead for the early morning start!"]

[Update: The Larkinville Heart & Soul 5K was postponed on Saturday morning due to frigid temperatures.]

The weekend weather will be one for the books, with Saturday's high temperature not expected to climb much above zero and wind chills approaching historic levels.

That was too cold for the Y10 race in Lockport, which has been postponed a week. But that apparently won't be enough to cancel or postpone the third annual Heart & Soul 5K in Larkinville.

Runners who have registered for the Larkinville race, which is scheduled for 10 a.m. Saturday at the Larkin Center of Commerce on Seneca Street, received an email Friday telling them that the event is still a go.

"With the 'Big Chill' in the weekend's forecast, we understand that a few of you have concerns ... . We will only cancel the run if there are travel bans and road closures," said the email from race director Edla Collora, which also was posted on Twitter.

"Last year we had a blizzard-like snowfall and it was very cold, but with all that we still had a great turnout. We wouldn't expect anything less than cold, and blowing snow for Buffalo's February forecast. That is why there are not many runs scheduled at this time in WNY."

The Y10 in Lockport, a favorite of Western New York distance runners, was set for 10 a.m. Saturday. But at update on the website says it has been postponed until the same time Feb. 20. The accompanying Y5 also was postponed a week.

Race cancellations are a rarity in Buffalo; the logistics that go into planning a race on public streets can take months to finalize. The annual Turkey Trot, run on Thanksgiving morning when the weather has often been an issue, has never been canceled.

Collora noted in the message, the Morlock Foundation that is sponsoring the event "is not in the position to refund race fees. Your race fee is a charitable contribution to the Morlock Foundation."

Collora said if conditions dictate cancellation, all registered runners will receive $5 off next year's race entry fees.

Story topics: / / / / /

There are no comments - be the first to comment