Great health professionals give me hope for the future
Latex, peanuts, bee stings – these are triggers we know can cause a life-threatening allergic reaction. But perfume, cleaning supplies, alcohol wipes, hand sanitizers? Yes, these and more are toxic to me.
Eight years ago, due to negligence, I suffered a severe allergic reaction. After hospitalization I was left permanently, totally disabled. High-dose steroids were started to help with my severe allergies and asthma, but the side effects were numerous and in several cases, rare. Infections, thyroid issues, glaucoma, diabetes, wounds, immunosuppression, bone degeneration and fractures affecting my neck, ribs, shoulders and hips occurred. As a result I was confined to a wheelchair, and dependent on family, friends and aides. The future and any type of hope for recovery were dim.
But this is not a sad story. It is a true story of our hometown. Not only do Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Boston have numerous innovative, caring professionals, so do we, right here in Western New York. A myriad of great professionals: primary care, asthma/allergy, ENTs, optometrists, wound care, infectious disease, nurses, therapists and especially the orthopedic surgery staff at Buffalo General Hospital. These numerous and gifted angels worked together on my unusual and challenging case and have given me a promising outlook for the future, and that is nothing short of a miracle.
I am proud and grateful to live in Western New York with all of the great resources that we can all benefit from. There’s no place like home!