Share this article

print logo

Town of Tonawanda home heavily damaged by fire

An electric heater placed too close to a couch caused a fire Tuesday afternoon that displaced four adults from a home in the Town of Tonawanda, fire officials said.

Brighton volunteer firefighters were called at 4:14 p.m. for a report of fire in the living room of the home at 1554 Parker Blvd., Chief Shawn Tracey said.

The first firefighters on the scene found heavy black smoke coming from a first-floor window and fire up the living room walls, he said.

The fire was quickly extinguished and contained to the living room but still caused an estimated $125,000 in damage to the structure and $75,000 to its contents, Tracey said.

A smoldering couch was visible on the home’s front lawn about an hour after the fire started.

The American Red Cross was called to assist the occupants of the home.