Even before the first edition of the Evening News in October 1880, founder Edward H. Butler Sr. bought 218 Main St. As soon as remodeling of the building was finished, the Evening News moved in July 1881 from its temporary headquarters at 214 Main St.
The original 218 Main was a 20-foot-wide, four-story building. The business office (known as “the counting room” in early days) was on the first floor and the newsroom on the second floor, reached by a circular stairway that started near Butler’s office.
The News occupied the original 218 Main building for 15 years, until Butler had it demolished in May 1896 to make room for a new, bigger News building.
The early years: A 20-foot-wide building