By the mid-1890s, News founder Edward H. Butler Sr. decided that a growing operation required a new, modern building.
In May 1896, demolition work started on 218 Main St., the building The News had occupied for 15 years, and 216 Main St., which Butler had bought from the Fairbanks Scale Co.
In May 1897, The News moved into its new, six-story building at 216-218 Main St. (above), topped in its early years by an ornate tower.
Butler moved his office from the first-floor business office to a third-floor executive suite. The third floor housed the publisher’s offices until The News moved out of the building in 1973.
When it opened, the building seemed luxuriously commodious. Fred Furminger Sr., a business office stalwart for many decades, recalls that the little-used upper floors of the new building provided a good place for midday naps for employees.
1897: A luxurious, new building that would last for 75 years