NIAGARA FALLS – A Niagara Falls man arrested Friday is accused of leaving a 5-year-old boy unattended in a Niagara Street restaurant as he overdosed on heroin in the restroom.
A city fire crew used Narcan to revive David R. Hopper, 33, who said he does not use heroin but was offered some and had the money buy and try it, police said. Employees of the Dairy Queen at 2432 Niagara told police Hopper entered the restaurant about 4:27 p.m. with the boy, who was left in the dining area while he went to the restroom. The employees said that when an ”unusually long” period of time passed, they went to the restroom and found him unresponsive on the floor with a hypodermic syringe sticking from his arm, police said.
Police, who said the boy was reunited with his guardian, added a small bag of suspected heroin was found on Hopper, who was charged only with endangering the welfare of a child. Police noted he was not charged with drug or drug paraphernalia possession because of the state’s Good Samaritan Law, which was passed in 2011 to try to reduce the number of drug overdose deaths.