Share this article

print logo

Halloween safety tips to prevent poisoning, injuries

The American Association of Poison Control Centers has tips to help prevent accidental poisoning and injuries this Halloween.

Candy and treats:

• Inspect all candy for any signs of tampering (tears, pinholes, discoloration, etc.) before eating or allowing children to eat.

• Check all candy and edibles for choking hazards.

• Children should avoid eating homemade treats from strangers, and any treats that may contain marijuana or other drugs. If you suspect a child has consumed candy containing a drug, call Poison Help at 1 (800) 222-1222 for immediate assistance.

Cosmetics:

• Test face makeup in a small area of skin first (preferably on the arm) to check for allergic reaction before applying it to the face. Avoid decorating the face or body with products that aren’t intended for the skin.

• Avoid the eye area when applying costume makeup to the face, as well as remove makeup before bedtime to prevent eye and/or skin irritation.

• Throw out any makeup that has a very bad smell; this could be a sign of contamination.

Other Halloween hazards:

• Remind children not to chew on or break open glow sticks or any other glow-in-the-dark products. While the liquid is considered minimally toxic in small amounts, it can cause skin irritation. Swallowing glow stick liquid can cause nausea and burning. Eyes are especially sensitive to glow stick liquid. Never put these products in the microwave.

• Handle dry ice properly and carefully. Oral/skin exposure or ingestion of dry ice can cause significant damage. Do not store dry ice in the freezer or an unventilated area.