1. Canisius volleyball. Unbeaten Crusaders go to Albany and win fourth tournament of season two days after beating rival St. Joe’s via sweep. That constitutes a great week at 1180 Delaware Ave.
2. Canisius football. Remember, I wrote a win over DePaul Catholic could, not would, move Canisius football up a spot. As crazy as it sounds, I want to see more from team on 20-game winning streak.
3. Orchard Park football. Quakers will be well-prepared heading into next week’s key division showdown with Lancaster after facing title contenders Bennett (Sept. 19) and Section V’s Pittsford (this Friday) in a three-week span.
4. Clarence girls volleyball. They get a spot all to themselves this week after defeating three reigning state champions, including previously unbeaten St. Mary’s, last Saturday to win the Eden Tournament.
5. East Aurora cross country. Business as usual for the Blue Devils, who sweep boys and girls team and individual titles at own invitational.
6. Hamburg boys soccer. I guess I was ahead of the curve. Bulldogs on seven-game winning streak and cracked state Class A poll this week.
7. St. Mary’s girls volleyball. One loss, while playing without one of its top players, after an epic 63-0-2 streak doesn’t change fact St. Mary’s is still scary good. Already eying rematch with Clarence next month.
8. Canisius boys soccer. The Crusaders didn’t solve The Riddle of the Sphinx, but did beat St. Joe’s last week after going winless in four attempts against their bitter rivals last season.
9. St. Joe’s boys soccer. Loss to Canisius aside, Marauders are still the team to beat in the Monsignor Martin Association and still ranked first in Western New York.
10. Sacred Heart girls golf. A bird tells me Sharks are 7-0 in league and riding 37-0 streak. That is indeed something worth noting.
— Miguel Rodriguez