Eight companies in the Buffalo Niagara region have been picked to make their pitches for a $100,000 investment during the Rise of the Rest startup competition Sept. 30.
The companies include:
• KeepUp – A social media productivity app developed by one of the winners of last year’s 43North business plan competition.
• triMirror – A 3-D virtual fitting room developed by another 43North winner from last year.
• Cartefi – A network to post, find and share new opportunities.
• POP Bio Technologies – A developer of a nanomedical cancer drug-delivery system.
• InteractiveX – The developer of a platform where professors collaborate in the development of interactive e-books.
• Energy Intelligence – A 43North winner that developed a road-mounted energy-harvesting system.
• Heads Up Display – A wearable technology company focused on allowing users to make data-driven decisions in real time.
• Smart Walls – A construction company that makes deployable walls for flood protection.
Each of the companies will make their pitch during a competition that begins at 4 p.m. at Buffalo RiverWorks, 359 Ganson St., to AOL founder Steve Case and a panel of judges that includes former Buffalo Bills running back Thurman Thomas and developer Doug Swift.