Time for the first Power 10 of the new season with emphasis being on 2015.
Here's our attempt to rank all the teams -- in all the sports -- in Western New York's fall high school sports season.
At the end of each season, we'll name an final Power 10. At the end of the 2015-16 school year, we'll do an overall ranking -- with the best team in Western New York earning a trip to the Prep Talk Awards (June 15, 2016) as the Prep Talk Team of the Year.
1. Canisius volleyball. Not the blue and gold team you expected here. Last weekend’s triumph at Endless Summer Classic in Virginia is third tournament title of season for area’s No. 1 team.
2. Canisius football. Crusaders are 3-0 with pretty much a different cast extending program win streak to 19 on Saturday. Top team in state and in WNY could move up spot with win over DePaul Catholic (N.J.) on Saturday.
3. Orchard Park football. After seeing OP play twice this season, I’m convinced only injuries can prevent this tough, well-coach team from reaching The Ralph for the 20th time.
4. St. Mary’s girls volleyball. Life after Leah Meyer and Ashley Drzymala is still good for the Lancers, who have won their own tournament, beaten Mercy in Rochester and entered Monday’s match at Eden unbeaten.
5. East Aurora cross country. EA is off and rolling -- winning boys and girls titles at the Monroe-Woodbury Invitational last Saturday. Kenny Vasbinder takes boys race in course-record fashion.
6. St. Joe’s boys soccer. As per usual, Marauders have ascended to the top spot in area rankings in quiet, hard-working fashion.
7. Clarence girls sports. Soccer earns regional ranking. Volleyball captures its own tournament title.
8. Hamburg boys soccer. Save it folks, it’s my poll. Bulldogs may not be ranked, yet, locally, but get some love for taking down state-ranked Williamsville East.
9. Akron field hockey. Ended years-long winless streak against league-rival Barker with 1-0 win Thursday.
10. Wilson boys golf. Set school record with winning score of 198 in win over Akron last Friday.