Southern Erie County
Motorists in the Blasdell area should expect some delays as work related to reconstruction of South Park Avenue from Route 179 to the Lackawanna border is currently underway.
The New York State Department of Transportation is working on sidewalks currently, and in the near future, the paving project will continue into the roadway.
Construction also is taking place on Miriam, Labelle and Commercial Avenues, so motorists are asked to proceed with caution.
• A flu immunization clinic will be held in Holland on Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Town Hall, 47 Pearl St. Appointments can be made by calling Town Clerk Merilu O’Dell at 537-9443, ext. 2. Walk-ins will be welcome at the clinic.
• The Holland Central School Board meets at 6 p.m. Monday at Holland Jr./Sr. High School, 103 Canada St., in the library.
• Oktoberfest will be in full swing Saturdayin Springville, with German cuisine, beer and wine, live music, free admission and contests. Festival-goers may sample European sausages, bratwurst, sauerkraut, German potato salad, pretzel rolls, local wines and craft beers from 2 to 11 p.m. Saturday in Fireman’s Park at 70 Nason Blvd. near Waverly Street.
The event will also feature music by the Springville Jazz Band from 2:30 to 5 p.m., Joe Wagner from 3:30 to 10 p.m. and The Frankfurters from 6 to 10 p.m.
Visitors may enter contests for hot dog eating, best German costume and desserts. Fireworks will conclude the festival. For more details, call the Springville Chamber of Commerce at 592-4746.
• The 2015 Family Night Flu Immunization Program has been set from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. this Monday in Springville Elementary School’s Family Support Center at 283 North St. The Springville-Griffith Institute Central School District conducts the annual event with Independent Nursing Care. For more details, visit the district’s website at www.springvillegi.org or call Independent Nursing Care at 805-1020 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Flu vaccinations in the Town of Evans will be available starting at 12:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Senior Center at Erie and Sturgeon Point roads. Those who receive shots must show a health insurance card. For details, call the center at 947-0974.
• The North Collins School Board meets at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the junior-senior high school’s library at 2045 School St.
• Eden Town Board meets at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday on the Town Hall’s first floor at 2795 E. Church St.
• Medical facilities will participate in the Drug Enforcement Administration’s National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Unused or expired medications may be dropped off for safe disposal. Medications may be taken to Bertrand Chaffee Hospital at 224 E. Main St. in the Village of Springville. For a list of locations, visit the Springville-Griffith Institute Central School District’s website at www.springvillegi.org.
• The North Collins Fire Company will conduct a gun raffle from 4 to 8 p.m. Saturday in its training center at 2038 Spruce St. Tickets are $20. For more details, call 435-4906 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Bertrand Chaffee Hospital Women’s Association will conduct the Fashion and Tea, Too! show to benefit the hospital at 2 p.m. Sunday in the Springville Fire Hall at 405 W. Main St. Presale tickets may be purchased for $8 in the hospital’s gift shop or at its switchboard, at Springville Hardware & Homewear at 46 E. Main St. or from an association member. Tickets will also be sold at the door for $9.
• Springville Concord Elder Network has planned fall activities. For a list, visit the town government’s website at www.townofconcordny.com and click “community information” and “senior citizens” or call the organization at 592-2768.