From Friday Night Lights to Saturday afternoon homecoming games, BuffaloNews.com is the place to keep track of all of Western New York’s football action.
Review our #PrepTalkLive coverage from this weekend’s games at the Prep Talk blog, including interviews from Springville’s dramatic win over Fredonia and Cheektowaga’s no-doubt-about-it triumph over Lewiston-Porter. Also, watch interviews from Orchard Park’s 28-0 win over Kenmore West in Week One. Our scoreboard page also has additional details from several games.
Check out photo galleries from this weekend’s games and look at past galleries capturing riveting images from training camps as teams prepared for the 2015 season.
• Springville’s Bryce Szudzik ran for 82 yards and scored the winning touchdown and made nine tackles and an interception on defense, to pace the Griffins in a back-and-forth 32-28 win over Fredonia.
• Williamsville South’s Jack Holyoke accounted for 315 yards of total offense - 211 passing and 104 rushing - in the 44-0 win over Niagara-Wheatfield.
• South Park’s Tyree Brown only threw 10 passes but completed seven for 255 yards, four for touchdowns. Brown also ran for a score as the Sparks downed Amherst, 48-7.
• John Dolac III and Ray Johnson were quite the one-two punch in West Seneca East’s 35-22 win over Lake Shore. Dolac ran for 200 yards and two touchdowns, while Johnson added 129 yards on only eight carries and had a score.
• Cheektowaga’s Tyree Billingslea rushed 20 times for 184 yards, including touchdown runs of 53 and 6 yards, in leading the defending the Section VI Class B champions to a 50-7 rout of Lewiston-Porter.
• Pioneer’s Nate Tackentien completed an unusual “double play” in a 32-21 win over Olean. He caught a 31-yard touchdown pass on offense, and ran an interception back 40 yards for a score on defense.
• Alden’s Joe King had three interceptions in leading the Bulldogs to a 20-7 win over Albion.
• Ethan Shattuck of Tonawanda was under a spotlight in a game played under rented lights at Newfane on Friday. He looked like a star with 219 yards rushing and three touchdowns.
• Cleveland Hill’s Grayson Taylor set a career high with 245 yards in a 40-27 win over Wilson. Taylor also scored three touchdowns.
• Isaiah McDuffie of Bennett was a tiger on both sides of the ball. He ran for 150 yards and three scores, and had 10 tackles on defense.
How they fared
1. Canisius (2-0): Beat St. Mary’s of Lancaster, 37-0. Next week: Saturday vs. South Park, 1 p.m.
2. Orchard Park (2-0): Beat Frontier, 56-7. Next week: Saturday vs. Bennett, 1 p.m.
3. Jamestown (2-0): Beat Williamsville North, 30-14. Next week: Friday vs. Lancaster, 7 p.m.
4. Williamsville North (1-1): Lost to Jamestown, 30-14. Next week: Saturday at Niagara-Wheatfield, 2 p.m.
5. Lancaster (1-1): Lost to Central Catholic (Ohio), 76-7. Next week: Friday at Jamestown, 7 p.m.
6. St. Francis (2-0): Beat Holy Trinity (L.I.), 49-19. Next week: Friday at Walsh Jesuit (Ohio), 7 p.m.
7. South Park (2-0): Beat Amherst, 48-7. Next week: Saturday at Canisius, 1 p.m.
8. Bishop Timon-St. Jude (2-0): Beat V-Edison Tech, 38-8. Next week: Saturday at St. Mary’s of Lancaster, 1 p.m.
9. West Seneca East (2-0): Beat Lake Shore, 35-22. Next week: Friday at Hamburg, 7 p.m.
10. St. Joe’s (1-1): Lost to Monsignor Farrell (Staten Island), 38-17. Next week: Saturday vs. V-Aquinas, 1 p.m.
1. Bennett (2-0): Beat Silver Creek/Forestville, 60-21. Next week: Saturday at Orchard Park, 1 p.m.
2. Cheektowaga (2-0): Beat Lew-Port, 50-7. Next week: Friday vs. Newfane, 7 p.m.
3. Springville (2-0): Beat Fredonia 32-28. Next week: Friday vs. Southwestern, 7 p.m.
4. Alden (2-0): Beat Albion, 20-7. Next week: Friday at Barker/Roy-Hart, 7 p.m.
5. Cleveland Hill (2-0): Beat Wilson, 40-27. Next week: Friday at Akron, 7 p.m.
6. Dunkirk (1-0): Off. Next week: Friday at East Aurora, 7 p.m.
7. East Aurora (2-0): Beat Medina, 40-6. Next week: Friday vs. Dunkirk, 7 p.m.
8. St. Mary’s of Lancaster (1-1): Lost to Canisius, 37-0. Next week: Saturday vs. Bishop Timon-St. Jude, 1 p.m.
8. Franklinville/Ellicottville (2-0): Beat Cattaraugus/Little Valley, 22-0. Next week: Friday vs. Portville, 7 p.m.
10. Albion (1-1): Lost to Alden, 20-7. Next week: Friday at Depew, 7:30 p.m.
Class AA South features Hutch-Tech opening in league play at a Frontier team desperate for a win after dropping its first two contests, including its league opener last Friday at Orchard Park. Starpoint looks to keep the good times rolling and make it two impressive road wins in as many weeks when it visits Gene Masters Field on Friday night to take on Grand Island in Class A North. Also Friday, Williamsville South visits North Tonawanda in another A North rumble. In A South, West Seneca East visits Hamburg in a game that figures to impact the postseason race. Southwestern visits Springville in an intriguing nonleaguer.
Saturday features even more intriguing nonleaguers with Bennett visiting Orchard Park at 1 p.m. in OP’s Homecoming game. Also Saturday, South Park visits Canisius, while St. Joe’s hosts Rochester-power and state Class AA title favorite Aquinas. Sweet Home, looking for its first win, heads to Crosby Field to take on Kenmore West.