Share this article

print logo

City Hallways (July 30)George K. Arthur irritated

Calendar Items
Election board announcing today which candidates made the ballot, and which ones got knocked off because they didn't have enough valid signatures on their nominating petitions. (I mistakenly included this in yesterday's calendar items. Sorry. It's definitely today.)

Food Truck Thursday in Niagara Square.

Early arrivals
It's sounding like whoever wins the Delaware and Masten District primaries in September will likely be starting their jobs a few months earlier.
With Masten's councilman already gone, and Delaware's leaving this week, the Common Council is expected soon to announce it's seeking applications from people interested in temporarily filling the posts through the end of the year. That's apparently something that must be done, per the city charter.
But since the process is occurring so close to the September 10 primary, and since whoever wins the Democratic primary in both races will undoubtedly win in November, I'm guessing the council will likely pick the primary winner to fill the open seats through the end of the year. After that, those individuals, having won the election, would be sworn in to their new terms Jan. 1, 2016.
For the Delaware District, the spot would therefore go to Joel Feroleto, who is running unopposed in the primary, but does face a possible Republican write-in challenge.
The Masten contest is more competitive, with four Democrats in the September primary, and also one Conservative Party candidate running for the seat.

Ellicott contest over
I'm hearing Council President Pridgen is now running unopposed. His Democratic challenger, Terrence L. Heard, apparently isn't going to have enough valid signature to remain on the ballot. So it's just Pridgen running in the Ellioctt District. He has the Democratic and Conservative lines.

A Mascia Moment
I stopped by a city Control Board meeting yesterday because Buffalo Municipal Housing Authority finances were on the agenda.
Control Board member George Arthur was irritated that BMHA chairman Mike Seaman, who was invited to meet with the Control Board (officially the Buffalo Fiscal Stabilization Authority, BFSA) didn't show up.  It apparently wasn't the first time the BMHA's top people ignored Control Board invitations.
Control Board member Leonard Williams  said  Seaman couldn't be there  Wednesday because of the  Joe Mascia issue.
"When he talked with me yesterday, there was an issue with one of the commissioners as you may know is bursting all over the news, and he has had to spend a lot of time on that, and is still spending time. I believe there was a meeting today of a committee addressing that."
Arthur wasn't impressed.
"This came first," Arthur said."He should have made arrangements to be here today."
"I think it is important the chairman be here," Arthur continued. "The (BMHA) board has ignored this authority not one, twice, but many times."
BMHA's deputy director, Modesto Candelario, came instead Wednesday. It was left to him to explain the BMHA's precarious financial situation, to talk about critical HUD reports, and explain what the BMHA is doing about  its hundreds of apartments that remain empty because there's apparently no money to fix them, and apparently, at this time, no solid plan for getting that done.
The basic problem, Candelario said, is the federal government has pulled back on housing authority funding.
"Over the last five years, we've lost over $12.3 million in [federal] subsidies," he said. "It presents a challenge to be able to meet obligations to residents."
The Control Board suggested it is there to help, and encouraged the BMHA to continue a dialogue with the Control Board.

Mascia side note:
Mascia  previously told me he planned to be at the Control Board meeting, but later said he was too busy to get there.
The embattled BMHA tenant commissioner and Fillmore District candidate  - under fire for racist comments -- did, however, hold a press conference Wednesday to again say he's not stepping down from the BMHA or walking away from the council race.
Here's link to my colleague Bob McCarthy's story in today's Buffalo News and buffalonews.com about Carl Paladino's continued support for Mascia. Also Rod Watson column comparing Mascia and Carl Paladino.

 

Friend me on Facebook: BN Susan Schulman
Follow me on Twitter: @sue_schulman

There are no comments - be the first to comment