The rodent problem in the Village of Hamburg, which had improved a bit, has returned as the rodents creep into new neighborhoods.
The village said a year ago it was in the beginning stages of a rat infestation. They had been causing problems primarily east of Buffalo Street and north of Union Street. Now the rodents are still east of Buffalo Street but they are moving further south, Village Administrator Donald Witkowski said.
“We thought we had it under control in the spring, but it seems to be popping up,” he said.
He said it’s not a great thing to publicize, but officials want residents to know so they can be vigilant about combatting the pests.
“The biggest thing is garbage in cans,” Witkowski said.
Garbage should be secured in cans with lids.
The village has a long range plan to go to totes for solid waste, he said, but the trucks need to be converted, and there is a cost to the village of obtaining the totes.
• The Blasdell Farmers Market runs from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday in the Shops at Lake Avenue, which is the former Hills Plaza at 4271 Lake Ave.
• The Hamburg village Planning Commission will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Village Hall, 100 Main St.
• Blasdell’s concert series at JFK Playground, Allen and Grafton avenues, continues with the classic his played by Joyryde at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.
• Hamburg’s summer concert series features 23 Skidoo at 7 p.m. Wednesday in Memorial Park at Lake and Union streets for Hamburg’s summer concert in the park series. The rain site will be Union-Pleasant Elementary School auditorium.
• The Hamburg Farmers Market is open from 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday in the village municipal parking lot, with entrances on Main and Union streets.
• Flavor of Hamburg will take place from noon to 8 p.m. Saturday with south towns businesses having sales on the sidewalks of Main and Buffalo streets. Parking lots and streets will remain open, but parking spaces will be blocked off to become walkways. The event will include a kids zone, art show, motorcycle cruise-in, chalk project, food and drink, with music throughout the day playing on two stages.
• The Town and Village of Hamburg, along with the Village of Blasdell, will hosting their communities’ National Night Out Against Crime, from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 4 at Woodlawn Beach State Park, 3585 Lake Shore Road, Blasdell.
There will be family activities, entertainment and refreshments available with the goal of providing education on crime and fire prevention.