Share this article

print logo

Emergency Services offers help to Chautauqua County residents affected by flooding

MAYVILLE – The Chautauqua County Office of Emergency Services has announced several programs to assist residents who suffered damage from this week’s flooding.

County Emergency Services representatives will be available from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday through Tuesday at the Portland Fire Hall. They will be taking requests for assistance and coordinating debris removal and cleanup with volunteer response teams for all areas that have requested assistance.

St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, 12 Elm St., Westfield, will have lunches available from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. 

The Salvation Army will have food at Westfield School from 2 to 7 p.m. Friday.

The boil water ban for the Westfield Water District and the conservation water request for the entire village of Westfield were lifted on Friday afternoon, the Chautauqua County Health Department announced, saying the water is now safe to drink. 

Residents with water wells are urged to disinfect and test their private water supply before they drink it or use it for cooking.

Water-testing services will be available from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday and Tuesday at the Portland Fire Department. Water sample bottles for testing can be picked up Saturday through Tuesday.

Also on Monday and Tuesday at the Portland Fire Hall, employees of the county Department of Health and Human Services will be able to process applications for temporary assistance for emergency food stamps, food replacement, emergency housing, relocation, Medicaid card replacements, assistance with water tank and furnace replacements, limited home repair assistance, provision of air conditioners or fans to qualifying applicants.

Red Cross volunteers will be on hand to assist with referrals and provide cleanup kits but will not be able to provide financial assistance unless the loss is major or property is destroyed. 

Area residents are asked to report the cost of losses and cleanup so that the amount can be added to the total loss for the county.

A countywide loss of more than $386,000 would qualify the county for state emergency funding. More information about services or the report of losses can be obtained from local municipal offices or the county Emergency Management office at 753-4341.