Southern Erie County
The Eden Town Board has proclaimed July 30 as “Crowe Family Day” to recognize the family that lived at 9411 Sandrock Road from 1948 to 1979.
Clem and Mary Crowe raised their 10 children in the home. The seven surviving children have planned a reunion at the house that day with more than 100 family members from throughout the United States.
While playing as an offensive lineman for head coach Knute Rockne, Clem Crowe captained the University of Notre Dame football team in 1925. He earned All-America selections in football and baseball and later coached the Buffalo Bills in the All-America Football Conference in 1949.
Mary Crowe graduated from Purdue University in 1924 and received the 1971 New York State Mother of the Year award.
The Crowes left a trust fund for their children with the stipulation that they hold a reunion every three years.
• Eden Library Board members meet at 7 p.m. Monday in the library at 2901 E. Church St.
• The Springville Village Board meet at 7 p.m. Monday in the Municipal Building at 65 Franklin St.
• Village of Springville Historic Preservation Commission members plan to meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Municipal Building.
• The Village of Springville Planning Board meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Municipal Building.
• The Boston Town Band performs at 7 p.m. Tuesday in front of Eden Elementary School on Main Street as part of the “Music on Main Street” series. If there is rain, the concert will shift to the school’s auditorium.
• “Rockin Reunion” has been set from 3 to 11 p.m. Wednesday in the Evans Town Park. A beer tent will be open from 3 to 11 p.m. and Uncle Ben’s Remedy will play music from 6 to 9 p.m. For more details, call the Town of Evans Parks Department at 549-0970.
• Evans Town Board members meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Town Hall at 8787 Erie Road.
• The Erie County Department of Senior Services will offer $20 farmers market coupon booklets to qualifying senior citizens from 10 a.m. to noon Thursday in the Evans Senior Center at Erie and Sturgeon Point roads. To determine eligibility, call Julie at 947-0974 or visit the town government’s website at www.townofevans.org.
• Gene Hilts & Rustic Ramblers will play traditional country music from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Thursday in Fiddlers Green Park at Buffalo and Franklin streets in Springville. If there is rain, the concert will move to the Concord Town Hall’s second floor at 86 Franklin St. The First Presbyterian Church will offer parking because of the roadwork.
• “Movie Nite at the Park” will feature “The Princess Bride” at 8:55 p.m. Thursday in the Evans Town Park. A bounce house will open at 7 p.m. Call the Town of Evans Parks Department at 549-0970 for more details.
• The Eden Economic Advisory Committee’s meeting begins at 7:30 p.m. Thursday on the Town Hall’s second floor at 2795 E. Church St.