Share this article

print logo

Smoke pours from Elm Street substation after equipment overheats

A piece of equipment in National Grid’s Elm Street substation overheated Sunday night sending smoke pouring into the sky, utility officials said.

Buffalo firefighters and National Grid crews were called to the substation in downtown Buffalo about 9 p.m. and found the faulty equipment giving off plumes of smoke, said National Grid spokesman Patrick Stella. No fire was found, he said.

No power failures were caused by the incident, Stella said. Crews were deciding late Sunday whether to repair or replace the overheated equipment, which was not specifically identified.

Buffalo hazmat teams were reported to be monitoring wind conditions and the direction of the smoke plumes.