Southern Erie County
Blasdell Business Association Vice-President Andy Palmer was raised in the village, and now, with three daughters at Blasdell Elementary School, is trying to do something to give back.
As a result, he is raising money for the literacy program at the district. Along with raising money through traditional means, he has also started a gofundme account and to date, has raised $790;
To help support the cause, visit gofundme.com.readinginblasdell.
• Boston’s Independence Day is on the horizon and music and fireworks will fill the air Saturday at Boston Town Park, 8500 Boston State Road.
The festivities will begin with a performance by the Boston Town Band at 8 p.m. Fireworks will follow the concert at 10 p.m.
Those who attend are encouraged to bring coolers, lawn chairs and blankets.
• “Music on Main Street,” a weekly concert series, will return Tuesday night in the Town of Eden.
South City will play folk rock at 7 p.m. Tuesday on Eden Elementary School’s front lawn on Main Street. The series will continue with a different band every Tuesday evening until Sept. 1.
If there is rain, the band will perform in the elementary school’s auditorium.
The annual series, provided by the town’s Recreation Department, offers free entertainment in a smoke-free, alcohol-free atmosphere. Spectators are advised to bring lawn chairs.
• The “Thank A Vet” discount program outreach event will offer veterans a discount card from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday in the Eden Town Hall’s first-floor meeting room at 2795 E. Church St. Veterans who bring their original discharge documents will receive a discount card valid at more than 1,100 businesses. For more details, call the Erie County clerk’s office at 858-4737.
• The Eden Planning Board meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday on the Town Hall’s second floor. To view the agenda, visit the town government’s website at www.edenny.org.
• A veterans service starts at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Eden United Methodist Church at 2820 E. Church St.
• The Eden Board of Education holds its reorganization meeting at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the junior-senior high school’s cafeteria at 3150 Schoolview Road. A regular meeting will follow.
• The Springville-Griffith Institute Board of Education holds its reorganization meeting at 7 p.m. Thursday in the high school’s library at 290 N. Buffalo St. A regular meeting will follow.
• Dick O’Dell & 23 SkiDoo will play oldies music as part of the Concerts in the Park series from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Thursday in Fiddlers Green Park at Buffalo and Franklin streets in the Village of Springville. If there is rain, the concert will move to the Concord Town Hall’s second floor at 86 Franklin St.
• Gene Hilts & Rustic Ramblers will perform as the Concerts in the Park series continues from 5 p.m. until the fireworks begin Saturday in the Concord Community Park at Boston-Springville and Buffalo roads.
• The Holland Planning Board meets at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at Town Hall, 47 Pearl St.