Residents are being asked to lobby the Public Service Commission to force Verizon to finish wiring the town for fiber optic Internet access.
Councilman James P. Rogowski issued the rallying cry last week. “Cheektowaga residents deserve high-speed internet. Verizon is refusing to expand and finish the job in Cheektowaga,” he said.
The town is wired from Cleveland Drive north to the Williamsville/Amherst border, and from French Road south to the West Seneca border. Rogowski said Verizon continues to expand FiOS networks into affluent neighborhoods across the state.
“To force Verizon to provide us service, we need to let the PSC know we want FiOS and we expect them to use their regulatory authority to make Verizon give us access to FiOS,” Rogowski said.
Residents are encouraged to call the PSC at 518-474-6530.
• Barbecued chicken and ribs, theme baskets and a vintage car show will be featured from noon to 6 p.m. Sunday at the annual Summerfest Extravaganza at St. Aloysius Gonzaga Catholic Church, 157 Cleveland Drive.
• The Cheektowaga-Sloan School board will hold a special meeting at 7:30 a.m. Tuesday at Woodrow Wilson School in the Irma Czubaj Board Room, 166 Halstead Ave, Sloan.
• A Town Board work session begins at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the Council Office Conference Room on the second floor at Town Hall, 3301 Broadway.
• The Cleveland Hill School Board holds its reorganizational meeting at 6 p.m. Wednesday in the community room at 105 Mapleview Road.
• The town’s Conservation Advisory Council meets at 6 p.m. Thursday in the Council Office Conference Room at Town Hall.
• Food trucks will be part of Independence Day celebrations at Town Park on Harlem Road. Friday night, Boneshakers will perform from 6:30 to 10:30 p.m. in the Lions Pavilion. The parade starts at 11 a.m. Saturday at Thruway Plaza and heads north on Harlem Road to the park, where Special Delivery will perform from 1 to 5:30 p.m. and The Strangers from 6:30 to 10:30 p.m. The beer tent opens at 4:30 p.m. Friday and 11 a.m. Saturday. A fireworks display begins at dusk.