NIAGARA FALLS – A 71-year-old woman, trying to make it home with her malfunctioning car, got within two blocks of her destination Friday afternoon before the car burst into flames and was heavily damaged, police said.
The woman, who lives on 57th Street, told police she had just dropped off her infant granddaughter and was returning home shortly after 4 p.m. when her 2001 Chrysler started smoking from the rear of the vehicle.
She told police that she is a smoker but had not been smoking due to the presence of the child.
She tried to make it home with the car but was overcome by smoke in the 100 block of 57th Street and had to exit the vehicle.
Emergency crews said the vehicle was fully engulfed in flames upon their arrival.
They said the fire did, indeed, originate in the rear of the vehicle, but could not pinpoint a cause. No one was injured in the incident.