Share this article

print logo

Firefighters douse fire in Eggertsville home

Firefighters from Eggertsville Hose battled a basement fire on Lamont Drive Saturday morning. It was the second time in the past week that they have been called into action.

The residents were alerted and able to escape due to multiple fire alarms in the house.

Firefighers quickly extinguished the fire, which started under the basement stairs, and confined it to the basement. Smoke, however, spread through the house.

Eggertsville was assisted by the Snyder and North Bailey fire departments.

Residents are reminded not to store combustibles under stairs. Stairs are a main escape route and storing things under stairs creates both an opportunity for fires to start and the opportunity for the fire to spread to all floors through a stairwell, said John P. Buttino, president of Eggertsville Hose.

He added that stairs are also a load bearing element in homes and fire in a stairwell may destabilize the entire structure.