Share this article

print logo

Backyard grill suspected as cause of Lewiston house fire

LEWISTON – Three residents safely fled their Town of Lewiston home before it was destroyed Tuesday evening by a fire blamed on a backyard grill, according to the Niagara County Sheriff’s Office.

The fire at the home of Nadine and Scott Addenbrooke at 1312 Ridge Road was reported at 7:38 p.m. Deputies and Lewiston police found a large amount of black smoke coming from the back of the house, which was a total loss.

The couple and their 13-year-old son were standing in the front yard when police and fire trucks from the Lewiston No. 1 Fire Department arrived.

Scott Addenbrooke said he had just started the grill and walked inside. He said he heard his wife yelling that the grill was on fire and ran to the back of the house. He said the fire was so large he believed it was too late for a fire extinguisher and called 911. He said the fire quickly spread up the side of the house and into the attic.

The fire remains under investigation.

Youngstown and Upper Mountain Road volunteer fire departments also assisted in extinguishing the fire.