Among the local news on the day's front page:
"Thwarted in efforts to kill herself with gas, Mina Davis takes bichloride of mercury"
"OLEAN -- After Mina Davis, village belle of Shinglehouse, had tried to destroy her life by inhaling natural gas and had been discovered by her mother in time to save her life, she swallowed eight grains of bichloride of mercury. The girl is now in the Higgins Memorial hospital and the slow poison is carrying her to certain death. The physicians declared there is no hope of saving her life."
Click on the image below to view a larger version and continue reading.