On this night 85 years ago, WKEN was originating stock reports from the station’s fourth location since the owners of WPDQ Radio in Buffalo handed over the microphone to new owners in 1927.
First located in the Varsity Theatre on Bailey Avenue, the station moved to studios at the corner of Delaware Avenue and Sheridan Drive. WKEN also had regular broadcasting capabilities from Kenmore Presbyterian Church at Delaware and Hazeltine Avenues in Kenmore, and from the Great Lakes Theatre on Chippewa Street in Buffalo.
Shortly after moving to the Town of Tonawanda, WKEN moved its Delaware at Sheridan studio to Grand Island. Literally. The building was wheeled up Sheridan Drive to the Niagara River, and floated on a barge to Bush Road on Grand Island. The photo of that move shown below appeared in The News in 1928.
The callsign for WKEN was lost to history when The Buffalo Evening News bought the rights to its radio frequency, which became WBEN in September 1930.