As Buffalo’s suburbs were expanding, so too were the conveniences of modern retailing in those areas.
A decade earlier, Sheridan Drive was mostly farm land. By 1955, places such as Anderson’s Ice Cream, Ted’s Hot Dogs, Pat’s Hot Dogs, Jet Doughnuts, AM&A’s and many others were opening their doors on Sheridan between Delaware Avenue and Niagara Falls Boulevard.
With promises of free hams to be given away on the hour, cigars for the men and a drawing for two mink stoles, Western New York’s most modern grocery store opened on Sheridan Drive 60 years ago this week.
The old A&P building still stands and is currently home to a Family Dollar store.