Nelson Oldfield will be among six veterans to receive the Francis J. Mooney Award on Saturday during Armed Forces Day at Coca-cola Field in Buffalo.
The award, named in honor of an Army veteran killed in action during the Korean War, recognizes veterans who have protected our country’s freedom at home and abroad; have worked as leaders for veterans’ rights; and, as veterans, have gone above and beyond to help fellow veterans.
Oldfield, is the commander of F.J. Donovan Post 1626, American Legion; vice chairman of the Erie County American Legion; and a member of the town’s Veterans Affairs Committee.
• The Maryvale School Board will hold a public hearing on the proposed budget for 2015-16 at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the district administrative office, 1050 Maryvale Drive. A regular board meeting also will be held
• A Town Board work session begins at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the Council Office Conference Room on the second floor of Town Hall, 3301 Broadway.
• The Cheektowaga-Sloan School Board will hold a public hearing on the 2015-16 budget at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the cafetorium at Theodore Roosevelt Elementary School, 2495 William St.
• A meeting of the Sloan Village Board begins at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Village Hall, 425 Reiman St.
• The town’s Planning Board meets at 6 p.m. Thursday in Council Chambers at Town Hall.