Share this article

print logo

May 8, 1940: Irish flag flies as the Aud is built

The “convention hall” being built in this story later came to be known as Memorial Auditorium and was built in part by a group of Irish bricklayers.

These old First Ward Irishmen were proud of the goings-on in their neighborhood — from the construction of the Aud to the filling-in of the Ohio Street Basin for a park.

They let the Irish flag fly next to the stars and stripes to show their neighborhood pride.

"American and Irish flags fly on Convention Hall chimney"

"Six bricklayers who daily have climbed the 175-foot brick chimney of Convention Hall have added a timely innovation to an age-old craft tradition. Fluttering alongside the American flag at the peak is the green, gold and white of the Irish Republic, raised in honor of the old First Ward's success in winning conversion of the Ohio Basin into a city park, a project now underway."

There are no comments - be the first to comment