Southern Erie County
A Springville-Griffith Institute High School student will compete in a national competition and another placed second in her category in the annual state technical skills event.
Jacob Kontos finished first in cabinet making and Caitlynn Jaehn placed second in early childhood in the New York State Skills USA Competition.
Kontos will represent the state in the national competition in Louisville, Ky., in late June.
The students participate at the Ellicottville Career and Technical Education Center.
• The Springville Village Board meets at 7 p.m. Monday in the Municipal Building at 65 Franklin St.
• The Springville-Griffith Institute Board of Education’s meeting, including the budget hearing, will start at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the high school’s library at 290 N. Buffalo St.
• Concord Planning Board members meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Room 204 in the Town Hall, 86 Franklin St. • The Eden Central School District’s budget hearing is set for 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Junior-Senior High School cafeteria, 3150 Schoolview Road.
• The First Presbyterian Church at 38 N. Buffalo St. in Springville will host a rummage sale from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday. A $2 all-you-can-carry sale will last from 2 to 3 p.m. Refreshments will be served.
• An Evans Town Board meeting will begin at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Town Hall at 8787 Erie Road.
• The Springville Ministerial will sponsor the National Day of Prayer Service in the Park from 7 to 8 p.m. Thursday in Fiddlers Green Park at Buffalo and Franklin streets in Springville. If there is rain, the event will move to the First Presbyterian Church. Participants are asked to bring a lawn chair.
• The Blasdell Village Board meets at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Village Hall, 121 Miriam Ave.
• The Boston Town Board meets at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at Town Hall, 8500 Boston State Road.
• Lakeshore School District will host A Meet the Candidates night for the two School Board candidates at 6 p.m. May 12 at the Lake Shore High School Media Center, 959 Beach Road, Angola.
The candidates running for the seat are incumbent School Board President Jennifer (Wackowski) Michalec and newcomer Kathleen Chiavetta, who is seeking the seat currently held by Richard Vogan. Each seat carries a three-year term.