“Frequently vacant for many years since its construction in 1904” is how News reporter Dennis Hollins describes the Darwin D. Martin House. Thirty-five years later, it’s been restored to Frank Lloyd Wright’s original plans and is a crown jewel in Buffalo’s renaissance and revival.
In 1980, however, New York State had forbidden the use of state funds in stabilizing the deteriorating structure. While a handful of people were interested in making sure the landmark structure stayed viable, there seemed to be few options to make that happen.
UB President Robert Ketter was a driving force behind an idea that would make the building useful, viable and — whether it was realized or not at the moment — on the road to restoration.
"Canadian-American Center eyed for Darwin Martin House"